Week 11: Horror



For this week I read Itou Junji's Horror Comic Collection. Although I am not a fan of horror as I don't like being scared, I enjoyed the pieces I read in this collection as overall it was disturbing but not scary. I really liked how in the first story the girl had the concept of stealing faces, I think it is interesting and entertaining to read. It also made me feel disturbed in the end when her classmates tortured her back and it sort of questions morality in a sense. Although I also feel like it was a very light hearted read as there wasn't too much of story going on, good concept but the story wasn't too deep or dragged out which is nice sometimes as you just take away what you feel and move on.

I also liked the scarecrow one a-lot. It was extremely disturbing to think that the dead would come back in such a gruesome way. It's funny because they 'came back' but they are isolated to the scarecrow body and it was also very much taunting the people who were alive and still cared bout them. It was almost like there was no point to the story rather than just to make you feel a sense of discomfort from that thought.

I also really liked the one where there were many people falling out of the sky. Just the imagery alone is enough to make you feel sick. The drawings were also appropriate for how it makes you feel as it is an older style of drawing and the faces were quite distorted and scary looking. I thought it was very entertaining to see how these play together to instill feelings into the reader. Overall I enjoyed it very much.

Comments

Popular Posts